Sunday, 6 March 2011

Other side of the fence


There are some glorious trees that, once you see them, you have to photograph.  Late summer at Waterhead, near Ambleside, has this grand specimen.  It is the perfect view of Windermere from the park.

I can imagine strolling along the jetty, an ice cream dripping in the sun, and then the delightful walk back to a town that was unknown in Wordsworth's day (Stock Ghyll was there, of course, but the area hadn't developed beyond a hamlet).

When I look at the website for the Tree Year, celebrating all things tree, I could be rather envious.  The tree I chose to write about is quite a baby, a plum tree.  And you would be mistaken for thinking that nothing is happening to it this early in spring, while most days are damp and perishing cold.

This cat is also quite a baby; its first explorations to 'the other side of the fence' were fraught with difficulty.  Some mewlings later, a rescue was needed, from a sturdy oak nearby.

(S)he is past that stage now and, like all the cats in the neighbourhood, they cannot resist the other side of the fence - although it is greener; and it is sheer torture for them to watch all the birds flitting past, from feeder to feeder.

On this side of the fence, I have added a feeder to our baby tree.  The birds are too nervous of cats to relax; there is no time to focus a camera and it is far too cold to sit around like a statue.
But, looking closely at 'my tree', there were indeed signs of growth.  The buds are turning ever pinker - they will - quite soon - burst into bloom, apparently overnight.

And then I noticed something I had not realised before - lovely leafbuds, perfect in symmetry.  These flowers don't burst forth 'nudiflorum', they already have the first hints of spring green....

There are more surprises around the corner of spring, for now I await a delicate pink dress, and then shivering as this tree puts on its overcoat.

Especially for the season, I have put together a free eBook 'A Peedie Potpourri Mark II' - it's mark II because Norman Bissett first used this title for his lovely colllection from Scotland (hence the 'peedie').  Mark II is packed with pics of the garden; and the poems are short - I may not be able to write simply, but - for now - I will be a woman of few words.

Happy tree spotting!

No comments: